In our house Friday is cleaning day. Not my favourite thing if I’m honest but it has to be done.
When my partner and I first got together (oh my goodness – TEN years ago!) it didn’t take me long to realise he had OCD! He is fanatical about keeping the house spotless. Me? I like the house clean but am slightly less fanatical about it. I prefer it to be lived in.
What used to worry me was all the different chemical cleaning agents he insisted on using; by the end of it my chest would be tight and I would be wheezing my socks off!
It’s taken me a while but I have finally managed to persuade him to clean MY way, with lots of natural goodies that don’t leave me gasping for breath!
One of my favourite cleaning products has to be good old vinegar; so versatile – and a whole lot cheaper than the stuff you see on the supermarket shelves.
Here are just a few ideas for using it:
- Freshen up the fridge. Clean the shelves and walls with a solution of half water and half vinegar.
- Brighten coffee cups and teacups. Gently scrub stains with equal parts vinegar and salt (or baking soda).
- Kill bathroom germs. Spray full-strength vinegar around the sink and tub. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- Tidy up a toilet. Pour a cup or more of diluted white distilled vinegar into the bowl. Let sit several hours or overnight. Scrub well with a toilet brush and flush.
- . Wipe off a dirty tap. To get rid of lime scale build up, make a paste of 1 teaspoon vinegar and 2 tablespoons salt. Apply to sink fixtures and rub with a cloth.
- Restore shower head pressure. If your shower head gets clogged with mineral deposits, soak it for 15 minutes in a mixture of ½ cup vinegar and 1 quart water
- I also use a vinegar/water mix to mop the floors And when everywhere is sparkling clean I spray around with my home-made chemical-free air freshener! Job done, well, for another week anyway 🙂 Till next time Lesley xxx